EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Conductor’s Assistants
Entering its 45th season, the Toronto Children’s Chorus (TCC) is recognized as a leading choral organization for children and youth. The TCC creates unparalleled, life-changing, and inclusive choral experiences, providing exceptional, accessible choral music education and performance opportunities, while cultivating collaboration, peer leadership, self-discipline, and commitment to excellence. Our membership draws diverse choristers from across the Greater Toronto Area and our organization comprises a number of ensembles including KinderNotes, Training Choirs, Main Choir, Chamber Choir, and the Toronto Youth Choir.
The Toronto Children’s Chorus is seeking Conductor’s Assistants (CAs) to work with its Training Choirs and Main Choir for the 2022-23 season. The successful applicants will work closely with the artistic and administrative staffs to ensure the smooth operations of the choir’s program and support the artistry of this world-class organization. CAs are required to attend all rehearsals, concerts, and workshops specific to their choir assignment. All ensembles rehearse in-person on weekdays, typically between 4:30pm and 7:30pm.
- Set-up for rehearsals, concerts, or workshops (e.g. chairs, music stands, piano, whiteboards, etc.)
- Welcome choristers and assist with screening protocols;
- Serve as mentors to choristers by singing with the ensemble and ensuring the children are organized and on top of instructions;
- Assist or aid choristers not on task;
- Liaise with parents/guardians on drop-off or pick-up procedures;
- Serve as sight-singing and theory tutors as needed;
- Mark theory homework as needed;
- Ensure the rehearsal space is left clean and tidy after rehearsal.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Strong music background (experience teaching music to children an asset);
- Strong music theory background;
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Collaborative, positive, and enthusiastic attitude.
Remuneration is hourly and begins at minimum wage. Applicants must be available for occasional work on weekends and attend all workshops and concerts.
How To Apply:
Please submit your resumé, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Matthew Otto, Interim Artistic Director: email@example.com. The application deadline is June 15, 2022. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Toronto Children’s Chorus is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, and programs. The Toronto Children’s Chorus is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in our programs and performances. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.