EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Apprentice Conductor
Entering its 45th season, the Toronto Children’s Chorus (TCC) is recognized as a leading choral organization for children and youth. The TCC creates unparalleled, life-changing, and inclusive choral experiences, providing exceptional, accessible choral music education and performance opportunities, while cultivating collaboration, peer leadership, self-discipline, and commitment to excellence. Our membership draws diverse choristers from across the Greater Toronto Area and our organization comprises a number of ensembles including KinderNotes, Training Choirs, Main Choir, Chamber Choir, and the Toronto Youth Choir.
As part of our Conductor’s Intern program, the TCC is currently seeking an Apprentice Conductor for the 2022-23 season. This immersive experience at a leading choral organization is meant to provide further professional development for an emerging conductor. The successful candidate will work under the direction of Artistic Director, Zimfira Poloz, Associate Artistic Director, Matthew Otto, and the artistic staff. This is a 10-month internship, commencing late August 2022 and ending in early June 2023.
- Observe/audit/assist bi-weekly Main Choir rehearsals (Tuesdays & Fridays);
- Conduct one or two pieces in rehearsal and performance;
- Meet with Artistic Director & Associate Artistic Director to review conducting gesture, rehearsal techniques and vocal pedagogy;
- Better understand the structure of a leading choral organization;
- Other duties may be requested.
- An undergraduate degree in music (graduate degree in conducting preferred);
- Conducting experience of 2-5 years;
- Experience teaching children and youth;
- An understanding of vocal pedagogy and International Phonetic Alphabet;
- Excellent theory and musicianship skills;
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude;
- An individual looking to gain more experience with a world-renowned organization.
How to Apply: Please submit your resumé, cover letter, contact information for two references, and two video recordings of their conducting in rehearsal/concert (URL links only) to Matthew Otto, Interim Artistic Director: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is June 20, 2022. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Toronto Children’s Chorus is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity in our teams, creative communities, and programs. The Toronto Children’s Chorus is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in our programs and performances. If you require accomodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.