The Toronto Children’s Chorus consists of eight choirs from ages 3 to 30. Read more below about our choral program and our program expansion in North York!
KinderNotes (Midtown and North York)
KinderNotes is the Toronto Children’s Chorus’ introductory music education program, for children 3 to 6 years of age. Classes incorporate singing, movement, music reading, rhythmic skill development, listening games, and more! No audition is required for admittance into KinderNotes. KinderNotes classes meet on either Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays and are directed by Kim Kendrick. Registration is online and opens each June for the following September.
NEW FOR SEPTEMBER 2018! Thursday evenings in North York at Claude Watson School for the Arts with Associate Conductor Louise Lui.
Preparatory Choir (Midtown and North York)
Preparatory Choir is the youngest audition-based ensemble in the Toronto Children’s Chorus. Children may audition as young as 6 for this ensemble, which is the first of four training choir levels. Children learn approximately 16 songs throughout the season and will also participate in sight singing exercises. This choir prepares children for their movement through the Training Choirs and into the main performing choir of the Chorus.
- Preparatory Choir at our St. Clair and Yonge location is directed by Judith Bean on Mondays from 5:30 to 6:30pm.
- North York Preparatory Choir at Claude Watson School for the Arts is directed by Louise Lui on Tuesdays from 5:00 to 6:30pm.
Training Choirs I, II and III (Midtown and North York)
Training Choirs I, II and III consists of sequentially developed skills, ultimately preparing choristers for admission into Toronto Children’s Chorus’ Main Choir. The Training Choir program is very structured and is a tested and proven method for moving children along at a reasonable pace. The program is the result of 30 years of experience working with children, having an artistic team that leads in the world of children’s choirs, and developing a curriculum that suits choristers’ ages and abilities.
Children are assessed to determine which Training Choir is most suitable for them during their audition. They are assessed in the areas of maturity and musical ability.
- Training Choir I is directed by Carole Anderson and meets on Wednesdays from 5:00 to 6:30pm.
- NEW FOR SEPTEMBER 2018! North York Training Choir I will be directed by Linda Song at Claude Watson School for the Arts and will meet on Thursdays from 5:15-6:45pm.
- Training Choir II is directed by Carole Anderson and Linda Song and meets on Mondays from 5:00 to 6:30pm.
- North York Training Choir II is directed by Linda Song at Claude Watson School for the Arts and meets on Tuesdays from 5:00 to 6:30pm.
- Training Choir III is directed by Elise Bradley and Louise Lui and meets on Wednesdays from 5:00 to 7:00pm only at our St. Clair location. NOTE: There is no Training Choir III program in North York.
Main Choir (Midtown only)
Within the Main Choir are four distinct groups: Cantare, Chorale, Chamber Choir and the Choral Scholars. Together, they make up the main performing choir of the Chorus, which maintains a busy schedule of festival and concert engagements.
Cantare serves as the introduction for children into the Main Choir. Cantare learns the least repertoire, but choristers are still exposed to the professional quality standards of the Main Choir. Cantare is directed by Carole Anderson and meets on Tuesdays from 5:00-7:30pm and Fridays from 5:00-6:30pm.
Chorale comprises the more experienced half of the Main Choir. Here, choristers take on a larger commitment of music learning, touring, and performing.
Within Chorale exists three further extensions: Chorealis, Chamber Choir and the elite Choral Scholars, who take on additional musical responsibilities. Chorale is directed by Elise Bradley and Matthew Otto, and meets on Tuesdays from 5:00-7:30pm and Fridays from 5:00-6:30pm.
Boys’ Choir (Midtown and North York)
Comprised of the boys from Preparatory Choir all the way up to Main Choir, Boys’ Choir is an ensemble for unchanged male voices that performs in tandem with the other choirs. Rehearsals take place after regular choir rehearsals in both Midtown and North York programs.
Boys’ Choir is directed by Linda Song.
Toronto Youth Choir (Midtown only)
The Toronto Youth Choir welcomes choristers aged 16-30, and performs SATB (mixed choir) repertoire. The choir meets on Wednesdays from 7:00 to 9:15pm and is directed by Matthew Otto. Though many choristers within TYC are TCC graduates, the choir is open to all young people: ladies grade 12 and up and gentlemen with changed voices. Find out more about Toronto Youth Choir here.